“Bucket list” always sounded catchy, but I never really liked the memento mori feeling of saying it. It’s like saying YOLO, except without the self-acknowledging hipster smirk inherently attached to it. I think I prefer calling it a monthly quest list. Maybe that’s just because I want my life to sound like way more of an adventure than it is, or because I’ve been reading too much Game of Thrones lately, but somehow it just seems to work.
I am an admitted to-do list addict. I think I got it from my mom, who always seems to have a mental list of about a thousand things left to do. I’ve always loved that feeling of crossing something off. I’m addicted to feelings of accomplishment, no matter how small.
I was going to make a summer bucket list, but decided not to at the last minute. Last summer I made one, but I only crossed off about 1/3 of the things on the list, even though I had a blast. My entire life right now is up in the air, suspended and ready to be tossed around by the wind or crash to the ground. I don’t even know what city I’m going to be in this time next week, or where I’ll be living next month, or whether I’ll have a job at Starbucks or be stuck in an office somewhere muttering darkly to myself. So, I decided that taking life on a month-by-month basis right now is probably a better idea. Enough rambling, though. Here’s 5 things I want to do by May 31st:
1. Sit outside in the sunshine. It’s been bloody cold out until now. I just want to sit outside and feel the warmth on my face and enjoy it after so many months of feeling like I’ve somehow gone to Narnia and the White Witch has cast a spell of neverending winter all over again.
2. Go out for ice cream. There are a couple of little ice cream places that I want to try before I leave town, and as the weather heats up, this seems like a good time to do it.
3. Read 3 books. I think I’ve read 3 books max. this whole year so far. Now that university is over and I don’t have to read any textbooks, I’m hoping to finally be able to read something I enjoy again. 3 might not seem like a lot, but, it’s going to feel blissful after months of not reading anything good!
4. Get 5 songs done, including covers and ones I’m working on currently. Now that my roommates are gone and I’m alone, I finally have enough space and time to create, and I’m not going to let myself be lazy and let it all go to waste. I have loads of lyrics, I just need to find the inspiration
and confidence to go down to my piano and start playing around again.
5. Make homemade ravioli. I’ve made homemade pasta before, but I’ve never made ravioli and I really want to try it! The idea of being able to think up any number of fillings excites me. It might be an ambitious project, but I’m ready for it.
What’s on your bucket list this month?